SLIDER

Our Fourth (& Fifth) of July + 1 recipe

Monday, July 7, 2014


Since the fourth of July landed on a Friday this year we ended up with two days of celebration! Sawyer had three outfit changes, his first dip in the pool, and tasted my famous macaroni salad. Here are some of my favorite pics from the fourth...and fifth.


I was gifted this cute hand-me-down romper when Sawyer was born. It remained in his closet just waiting for the fourth. Well, I should have checked the size before I dressed him. I was able to get it on, but when it came time I could not get it off! My mom held him while I cut him out of it. He was perfectly happy during the process thank goodness!


A flag to some...just another toy to others.


Muscle Tee//Shorts//Shoes

Baby Float (Similar)

Since we were attending two back-to-back parties I doubled one delicious recipe and brought it to both shindigs. This is seriously my favorite macaroni salad. It's loaded with veggies, not mayo heavy, and has a really fun name! It's the perfect side dish to bring to any summer party.


Fleetwood Macaroni Salad
2 cups cooked elbow macaroni (I use 1/2 a pound. This will boost the serving size.)
1 cup fresh or defrosted frozen corn kernels
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cucumber, peeled (I leave the peel on), seeded and cut into quarters
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped parsley (reserve a little for garnish)
1/4 cup chopped chives or green onions
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 cup vegan mayonnaise (You can use the regular stuff, but Vegenaise is seriously some tasty stuff!)
1 1/2 tsp salt (This cookbook is salt heavy. I would suggest salting to taste...don't just dump it in!)
1/2 tsp pepper

Mix everything together in a large bowl. Sprinkle with parsley to garnish.

I found the recipe in one of my favorite cookbooks The Native Foods Restaurant Cookbook. Native Foods is a growing chain of healthy "fast food". I had major cravings for this place when I was pregnant. Although I eat meat it repulsed me at the time. A couple of my favorite things on the menu are the Scorpion Burger, Soul Bowl, and I love the Watermelon Fresca. Check it out if you have a restaurant in your area and if not you can always pickup the cookbook.

No comments :

Post a Comment